Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chinese New Year

Happy Chinese New Year!  Welcome to the year of the dragon!  The dragon is a very important creature to Chinese people so maybe that means great things for 2012!

I certainly had a great weekend!  We kicked it off on Friday night by going to my favorite sushi restaurant Namiko's and chowing down on several delicious items.  Namiko's is owned by a Japanese woman that named the restaurant after her daughter.  I go so often that both Namiko and her mom recognize me and always stop to talk.  I love supporting small, family owned businesses and this place is awesome.  I take all my friends and family that like sushi to this restaurant when they're in town.  Look at this amazing roll!


The next morning we drove up to Keystone for another ski day.  Ryan wanted to miss traffic so we were up very early and were in the Keystone parking lot before many other people arrived and well before the lifts opened.
That gave us plenty of time to enjoy a coffee at the cute little coffee bar Inxspot.
Once the lifts opened up we hit the slopes!  It was a super cold day but thankfully we packed hand and feet warmers.  The feet warmers didn't seem to be working well so we stopped up at the summit to pull our feet out of our boots and expose them to air to make sure they were activated.  It helped immensely!


I did soooo much better skiing than I ever have before so I was really happy with the day.  Unfortunately, at one point when I was supposed to meet Ryan at a certain spot I accidentally skied all the way to the base of the mountain.  Oops.  So I called it a day and waited for him to finish up some runs.


Epic Mix, which links our passes to photos taken of us on the slopes, took a cool picture of Ryan coming down the mountain.  I asked Ryan if they took any of me and he stifled a giggle before he replied that they don't take action shots on the slopes I ski.  Hmpf and hmpf.

Saturday night we went to Amy and Dion's for a delicious meal and good company.  Amy always makes the best meals!


They demonstrated the new whiskey container they received in a white elephant gift exchange.

And gave Ryan an awesome "new" old school camera as a joke because his "new" work phone doesn't have a camera on it!

Sunday morning after church and coffee we went out for dim sum with Sue, Marlene, Roy, and Jodi.  Because it was the first weekend after the New Year The Empress was very busy and had celebrations.  They lit off a ton of firecrackers that they had hanging outside and also had dancers come into the restaurant.  So much fun!



That is about all the excitement for the weekend but I'll also share this picture of China watching the Dumb Friends League fundraising telethon.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend and congratulations on the improved skiing! I am sure that is making the outings much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to eat with someone like you, who knows about dim sum and sushi. I always feel completely overwhelmed at both because I am not that familiar with the different options and I am also a pretty picky eater so it really helps to know what I am getting so I have a positive experience.

    Congrats on becoming a better skier. I have only been once and it wasn't pretty. I think I am more of a warm-weather person. Jason is a reasonably good skier so hopefully he can teach our kids someday so the cycle of being terrible at skiing ends with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meghan I would love to go out for dim sum or sushi with you! Distance kind of makes that a little difficult but sometime when we're in KC or if you ever want to come out this way we should plan it! And that would be so much fun for Jason to teach the kids to ski when they're young. I know it's a little early for them now but definitely keep us posted for when you think you might start.

      Delete