Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Eat Right for Life

My company is extremely health conscious and is always trying to find ways to educate and aid employees on the path to a healthier lifestyle.  Recently, employees were invited to attend an Eat Right for Life Nutrition Series.  I jumped at the chance because one thing I've never been great at is eating healthfully.  I'm great at working out and staying active because I love it but I also really love food and have always found it difficult to make good decisions about my nutrition.  The older I get, the more it becomes painfully obvious that what you eat has a huge impact on your overall health.

The nutrition series was broken up into four classes over a seven week period and was led by a registered dietitian.  The four classes were "Basics of  Metabolism", "Maintaining High Energy Throughout the Day", "Boost Your Immune System", and "Optimize Cholesterol Levels".  Basically, the gist of the classes was that managing your weight is a simple calories in/calories out equation; however, not all calories are equal.  Also, it is important to have a good balance of carbs, proteins, and fats in your daily diet and we should strive to have each of those components at every snack and meal.  It was extremely helpful for me to attend these classes because there is so much out there these days regarding nutrition and it's difficult to distinguish truth from fads.  What the dietitian taught us is based on science and really made a lot of sense.  Since the beginning of the program seven weeks ago I've been listening to my body and making more conscious decisions about my food. and I can honestly feel such a difference. 

In addition to the classes we were also given the Eat Right for Life book by Dr. Ann Kulze.  I haven't read it yet but I plan to so I can learn even more.
I wanted to attach the handouts I received from each class as they contained a ton of great information but I can't figure out how to do that in blogger so if anyone is interested (or knows how to attach pdf documents in blogger) let me know and I can send you copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment