Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Loy Krathong

Our temple tour guide had advised us to go to the river later as it was the Loy Krathong festival, which he told us is to make amends with the water.  There are little crown shaped "boats" with incense and candles in them that you can buy to release down the river.  Some were made of banana leaves and flowers and others were made of bread.  This is the only picture I have of any.
Here people are lighting them and placing them in the river.
The streets were packed with people celebrating.
Also at the same time was a festival involving lighting rice paper lanterns and releasing them into the sky to let go of all the negativity in your life.  You can kind of see in the background the floating in air lanterns and floating on water loy krathong.
Look at this.  It was amazing to walk around and have these beautiful lanterns floating everywhere above you.
We decided we needed to release a lantern.  Never mind I couldn't find where they were sold and I didn't have a lighter, but where there's a will, there's a way.


Be gone negativity and bad feelings!  We don't want you around here!

Because there were so many people out and about, there were no restaurants that we wouldn't have had to wait several hours to get a seat.  I suggested we just eat on the street as there were oodles of noodles (haha, I kill myself) and other tasty looking items.  So I made Ryan eat one of these meats on a stick.  I thought they would put them on a grill (like a hot dog) and then give them to us, but they just took the meat, dunked it in some sauce and handed it over.  Fine by me because I like any type of hot dog.  Ryan, not as much.  I don't think he's forgiven me yet.

I also got this delicious strawberry flavored drink that was made just like Thai tea only without the tea.  As is probably everything that contains condensed milk, it was delicious.  Did I mention condensed milk is my new favorite thing?
And who doesn't like corn on a cob on a stick?
Before we headed back to the hotel room we stopped by a cute bar and sat on the rooftop to watch fireworks and the lanterns while we tried another Thai beer, Leo.



No comments:

Post a Comment