Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Weekend

Over Easter weekend we were supposed to be hosting Ryan's parents; however, one of their dear friends passed away last week so they postponed their trip so they could be home for David's funeral.  David was a part of their lives ever since I came into the family and was always so much fun to be around and I know he meant a lot to them.  Losing someone is such a difficult thing and it always feels like it's too soon. 

Without family in town, Ryan and I decided to have an Easter weekend with just the two of us even though we'd had other, very kind offers.  Saturday morning we volunteered at the church's pancake breakfast/Easter egg hunt.  It was super busy!  Ryan was in charge of cooking the bacon and sausage and I ran around and did a lot of random jobs, including cracking eggs, making orange juice, wiping tables, etc.  Can you believe we were there before 7 am?!?!  Yeah, no one else could believe I was up that early either.



I was pretty exhausted after working the breakfast but we still managed to take the dogs to the dog park because it was such a nice day.  Mojo had previously done something to injure his foot so Ryan doctored him up and was even nice enough to write on his "cast".


On Easter Sunday, we attended our usual 8 am service with coffee afterward.  When we came home Ryan finalized his work on the fence while I started preparing our feast.  This was the first time I had ever baked a ham and I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.  However, we now have about 9 lbs of ham in the freezer because I made a 10 lb ham for just the two of us.  :)  I say it makes for great lunch meat.  For 3 months straight.


When I got to work yesterday, a colleague gave me worry beads that his mom brought back from Greece.  Apparently it is a very Mediterranean thing to sit and clack your worry beads back and forth.  Basically, you place an equal amount of beads at each end of the tassel, then hold onto the string in the space between the beads, and then flip the beads on the top part of the tassel back and forth over your fingers so they clack with the beads on the bottom.  I think I might be driving people around me nuts but its actually very soothing to do this.

Another soothing thing for me at work is to walk outside and sit in the courtyard.  My building takes up about 1/2 of a city block, another building takes up about 1/4, and the other 1/4 of a block is a courtyard filled with trees, bushes, and flowers.  I love sitting out there when the weather is nice and the flowers are blooming.  And this practice is probably less annoying to colleagues.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter weekend even though you weren't able to spend it with Ryan's parents. And that courtyard makes me envious - what a nice view for an afternoon break to enjoy the beautiful weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been nominated for a Liebster Blog Award! Please read my latest post:

    http://jules-beautifulday.blogspot.com/2012/04/liebster-blog-award.html#links

    ReplyDelete