Friday, November 18, 2011

David

I took a little break from blogging this week because I felt I needed to digest and reflect before I wrote. Ryan and I received some difficult news early this week and I have never been the best at handling any emotions that don't involve smiling and laughing.  It's not that we didn't have a fabulous weekend, so I will start there.

On Saturday we were able to watch the K-State/Texas A&M football game.  It was an amazing game that the Cats finally won after four overtimes!!!  Talk about exciting!  Ryan couldn't contain his anxiety as you can tell by the various positions he assumed throughout the game.  I couldn't keep from laughing at him (which didn't go over well, I believe at one point he called me a butthole).


Then, on Sunday after church we went over to our friend David's for a potluck "brunch".  There were 9 of us there and there was so much food!  Some people brought more than one item and of course David had the wine out already.  I thought we were just going to have the hors d'oeuvres that everyone brought but after we'd all enjoyed some snacks and a couple glasses of wine, David started cooking a giant pork loin and a few sides!  We ended up spending most of the day enjoying our friends and eating and drinking way too much.  We had such a great time and all the food was delicious!
Roy, Hannah, Matt, Jodi
Marlene, Sue, David
Then on Tuesday, we received the news that David had passed away that morning.  I was utterly shocked.  We had just spent the entire day on Sunday with David and had made plans on when we'd see each other next.  It was so difficult for me because we had formed such a special bond with David.  We met him the first time we attended the 8 am service at our church and he immediately welcomed us.  He took us to Starbucks and bought our coffee and from that day on he opened his heart and home to us.  In just 7 short months we really got to know and enjoy David and it feels like it wasn't nearly enough time.  He was such a caring and kind person.  I struggled all week with this news as this is the first time I've lost a friend that was a part of my daily life.  After the initial shock and sadness, I opted to look at this in the most positive light as possible and here are a few of my thoughts:  David is in a better place now with his beloved wife he lost to disease a few years ago; we are so lucky we had the chance to know him at all, even if it was for such a short time; he was able to enjoy friends and family during his last days and had even expressed how happy he was last weekend; and I will always have great memories of our time at his cabin, at his home, at restaurants, and our weekly trips to Starbucks.  I will miss David greatly and Sundays are definitely never going to feel the same.  Witnessing the speed at which things can change and the fragility of life has solidified my belief that I have only thanks to give for all the blessings in my life and that I should take time to smell the roses and cherish the joyful moments with family and friends.  I love you all and greatly miss those of you that live far away. 


1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss, but what a great outlook you have! I am sure that David is smiling down on you both. Hope you had a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete